Dawn Hampton 1928 - 2016
By Orchid Bae at Shanghai Swings
有关Dawn Hampton 的15项事实
2. 家长老克拉克 迪肯 汉普顿为家庭乐团与杂技团 “Deacon Hampton's Pickaninnys”的团长。乐团同时附属于一个更大的流动嘉年华表演团。Dawn从小就听着自家乐团的音乐长大。
4. 小的时候 Dawn 曾一度想当个芭蕾舞者，但后来发现芭蕾不摇摆而作罢。(source: richardskipper.blogspot.ca/2012/02/dawn-hampton-light-is-on.html).
5. 50年代中期，在家里好些男孩都因为离家学音乐而不能表演之后，Dawn 和姐妹们组成了 汉普顿姐妹 合唱团。
9. 手术之后20年 Dawn 主要作为音乐剧歌手，在纽约市各大夜总会表演。精彩的演出令剧评称她为"歌手中的歌手"，并给了她"歌舞剧女王"的称号。
14. Dawn 和她的家人曾出现在2011年发表的纪录片“The Unforgettable Hampton Family” 。
“God Is Good. The Light Is On!”
其他有关 Dawn 的视频:
Dawn Hampton on Dancing
Dawn Hampton sings "Mad Mary"
Dawn Hampton unexpected performance at Herräng
Dawn Hampton Bhangra
The Carling Family's tribute to Dawn
> Dawn Hampton 在60，70年代是纽约同性恋社群的大力支持者
> 在同性恋酒吧尚为非法场所时，Dawn 曾在纽约同性恋酒吧工作
> 1969年Dawn 曾因参与Stonewall 事件遭警察逮捕。该事件为近代同性恋争取平权活动之滥觞
> Dawn 经常与大明星如朱迪加伦兰等同台演出
> Dawn 曾经是著名演员/歌星贝蒂米勒的声乐教练
.....靠近音乐 亲近你的舞.... 用心与灵魂去听音乐
2. Her father Clark Deacon Hampton, Sr., had a family band and vaudeville act, which was part of a traveling carnival. Dawn grew up listening to the music of the family band, “Deacon Hampton's Pickaninnys”.
3. Dawn began performing at the age of 3 and two years later sang “He Takes Me to Paradise” (Source: www.dawnsbday.com/dawn.html).
4. When she was very young, she wanted to be a ballet dancer then she found out that ballet does not swing (source: richardskipper.blogspot.ca/2012/02/dawn-hampton-light-is-on.html).
5. In the mid 1950s Dawn and her sisters became the “Hampton Sisters” after several of their brothers went off to study music.
6. 1958 Dawn joined the cast of the Off-Broadway hit show, “Greenwich Village, U.S.A.” The show ran for a year at New York's legendary “The Bon Soir.” An original cast album of the show features several solo tracks by Dawn.
7. During the early 60's, Dawn worked as the house singer at the Lion's Den. The Lion's Den was also the scene of a singer's talent competition. Barbara Streisand relates in a Vanity Fair interview that one of her first times singing on stage was at one of these competitions. She tells how she was a little unnerved, because she came on stage after Dawn, “and the lusty applause for Dawn Hampton [was] ringing in my ears.”
8. Surgery in 1964 to her vocal cords saw Dawn lose most of her vocal range BUT she never lost her eagerness or ability to perform and her optimistic spirit.
9. Dawn spent much of the next 20 years performing as a cabaret singer in clubs around New York City. Reviewers called her a “singer's singer” and dubbed her the “Queen of Cabaret.”
10. Dawn is also talented in writing music and lyrics: In 1989 Dawn collaborated with pianist/performer Mark Nadler, writing music and lyrics for the honky-tonk mini-opera “Red Light,” which was given the Manhattan Association of Cabarets (MAC) Award in 1990. Dawn and Mark also collaborated on “An Evening with Dawn Hampton,” which enjoyed an extended run at “Don't Tell Mama.” Dawn also wrote the music and lyrics for the play “Madame C. J. Walker.”
11. 1992-Dawn appeared with Frankie Manning in the Movie “Malcom X“.
12. In the late 90s and into the early 00s, Hampton took advantage of the craze for swing dance by bringing to the scene her smooth style and theatrical presence that has brought her international acclaim. She has never stopped since those early days.
13. Dawn lives in NYC and can be found in New York City dancing and listening to some of the best swing bands around.
14. Dawn and her family are in a documentary called “The Unforgettable Hampton Family” that aired in 2011.
Dawn has been known to answer her phone saying
“God Is Good. The Light Is On!”
More about Dawn Hampton:
> Dawn Hampton was an enormous supporter and force in the gay community in New York in the 60's and 70's.
> Dawn worked at a gay bar in New York when gay bars were illegal.
> In 1969, Dawn was arrested along side members of the LGBT community to which she was a champion for.
> Dawn sang in rooms with the likes of Judy Garland.
> Dawn was a vocal coach for Bette Midler
> Dawn played alto and tenor sax
> Dawn whistled as good as she played sax